Friday, May 28, 2010

Just find one thing and do it really well

Every now and again I wake up with the rising of the sun, in the early hours of the morning and start fossicking about. I will pull all my recipe books off the shelves and have many random lists and new ideas happening by the time Glenn wakes up, bulldozing him to the ground with my stories. This was one of those days. Only better since we're now living above ground and not in the cave like slumber of a basement apartment, which I think is pretty cozy but you just can't beat being able to look out the window and enjoy the view from street level.

                                       

Being that I am up and staring out the window at the pouring rain, I got to thinking about the beginning of our trip to Australia, how long ago it felt and also how life was starting to take on a more relaxed feel. Was it because we were on holidays or was it the sun, than maybe a little tropical rain in the afternoon? I don't know, I think it was a bit of both.


For the most part of our trip, we would plan something ever second day or so. Some kind of a structured journey that would end up taking on a life of it's own. We were there merely as guests and spectators. On our first Saturday morning we headed down to Murwillumbah, about 20 minutes inland from Kingscliff, to the markets that were indeed, very Murwillumbah. Just small and quiet abstract.


Between the Byron and Tweed shires, there is enough to satisfy everybodys craving, whether it be tie-dye, brownies with a little something extra, or potatoes just plowed, with the worms still waking up from their dirty coma. There's the old and the new, the old that still think they're new and the just plain untamed. M'bah has it all. It even has the greatest cinema ever, one that hosts rows of chairs at the back than big comfortable bean bags at the front. Yes, it does get better. There is a Hari Krishna pizzeria. You will order your pizza and they will bring it in while you're watching the movie. How good is THAT. The movies are both older and independent films.


The M'bah markets is where we found fig jam. I'm not going to harp on and tell you it was the best in the world, because I know everybody has 'a best in the world'. I will be humble on behalf of the fig jam and say it was very, very kind to us. It was so good that I felt the need to be selfless and leave the last jar there for another fortunate soul. That is all there is to say on the matter.

The man with the fig jam also sold us juicy, red, red tomatoes. He was an old school kind of fella that made me feel like a right knob when I would ask him questions or complement him. It just made me want to by more tasty tomatoes.


When I walked into the markets, which take place in a car park across from the cinema, under trees filled with cockatoo's dropping their half munched seeds on peoples heads, I instantly smelt the samosas and homemade chutneys. I was trying to hold off but couldn't wait any longer.


Just the one kind. One kind of Samosa is all you need. No need to give people choices. Though you did get to choose from two kinds of chutney. Instead of choosing, you really just took both and developed a hearty crush.


Sometimes, being human and all, we are given too many options. Too many things on the plate, so to speak. It's only human nature to want, want, want. Things we know we don't need, but when presented to us, we gobble them up. Take yourself to your local market and see how busy those places are that sell just one great thing. Meat on sticks and grilled, tacos, bowls of curry, pizza, dumplings. The list will never end. The endless list of someone creating one thing only, and making it so great, that people will love it more because they don't need to make a decision.



1 comment:

  1. YES YES YES! you are making me hungry! I love the idea of keeping things simple!

    ReplyDelete