Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bring me my family, I will bring you your food

When one hasn't seen there dad for over three years and is excited to cook for him, a dad that is as old fashioned as a heavy, wrapped up Christmas cake, one decides to make kangaroo fajitas. Of course you say, why not make something that could quiet possibly be the exact opposite of warm and familiar comfort food, food that you want him to taste and think only of his childhood. Food that you want to impress your dad with, show him that you really can make a meal out it. What was I thinking to make this simple, delicious Mexican feast, when for all I know, dad has never set foot in a Mexican restaurant, let alone know what the fuck a fajita is. Thankfully, he thought they were pretty hunky-dory.


To a lot people outside of Australia, you're probably thinking that kangaroo meat is often eaten in most households, and on a regular basis. You would think so, but you would be wrong. This was my first time eating it. Like all food, I'm sure it differs each time it is prepared, so I'm going to say that it was pretty awesome but I really couldn't tell you that kangaroo specifically is out of this world, because it wasn't unlike beef. Only better. Like a strong and healthy loved cow. But it wasn't. It was kangaroo and that's why we're here. We're loving kangaroo's, not cow's. I will love you later cow.

                          

I got the brilliant idea to show off in front of my dad, from my very pregnant and radiant friend Natalia. That night, she was making kangaroo tacos. Why not, I thought. Native and wild Mexican food. Australian style.


Like with many old dogs, I always thought my dad was pretty set in his ways. He knows what he likes and dislikes and is quiet happy to let you know, whether by sound effects or lack there of. He's a character to say the least, a man of few words before a few beers and I'm sure he'll always think it necessary to tell me old stories, in fine detail, about wenchy women he has been with in the past. So I was excited when he didn't ask me any questions about this roaring meal I was about to make him eat.


A roaring meal it sure was. I kept it quiet simple as you would imagine, throwing in some red kidney beans on the sly, since there would surely be protests about them, my dad letting me know he wasn't eating, 'that shit Karen use to eat'. It's nice to know he remembers his former relatives, (my current relatives) by the type of beans they ate. 


All in all, our kangaroo fajitas were wild and tasty. Simple, was how we kept it. Our dinner, our evening, our little family all gathered together eating wild Australian, Mexican food.


Our salad was also simple. Mum had a killer crop of rocket (arugula) that needed to be harvested. Harvested being the operative word. There was so much I thought it would be easier if I went at it with a machete. We ate it almost every time we cooked dinner together. Family rocket is what we will call it.


Though my dad was set to call rocket or any other kind of green leaf we bought over, unless it was iceberg lettuce, 'wood lettice'. So I guess that is what we'll call it. Wood lettuce.


It tasted the way rocket should. The reason it got it's name. It was so peppery it nearly blew a hole out the back of my head. That's just the way we like it. Wood-like and mind-blowing.


For some reason I feel I need to dedicate another post. Since leaving Australia most recently, also being my first trip back since I left three years ago, I have felt a tug of sentimentality. I'm sure this happens as you get older, along with that, the already older people getting even older. So this I dedicate to my very NOT functional family, (I don't want to limit us to DIS functional) whom I never really embraced their awesomeness. I love you family.




No comments:

Post a Comment