Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My last neighbourhood in Seattle (this time around)

Trying to figure out where life will take you at times, can be somewhat of a challenge. If you're anything like me, you're usually, more than likely, on the lookout for new inspiration and that next big trip somewhere, whether it be for a couple of months, or, in my recent case, the next big move: where are we going to live next.?


A tantalizing question. There have been times, just for shits and giggles, I will google, "where should I move to?" Sometimes the results are at the end of a forty minute questionnaire, thinking that surely after this next lot of questions, "what activities do you like to take part in?" there will be my answer, since this big, small world out there has just too many wonderful places to choose from.


And choose from we will, which is how Glenn and I ended up in Capital Hill for two weeks.


My story of life on the open road, a life which will commence in exactly eleven more sleeps, the life that holds the answers to "where should I move to?" will be told when this chapter has finished. For now, my new leafy neighbourhood is holding me happily captive until than.


I'm ready to hit the road, logistically. The only things that surround me now are unfamiliar places and more things. Things that will be packed away and stored in a cold and dark garage with a roller door. That door will go up and down a few more times, letting us come in and out to pack more things away and take more things out. We will take our tubs that we have strategically packed with things; things that we can absolutely live without but are not ready to let go of yet. We will use most of those things while we're on the road, to cook with, to wash with etc, than maybe we will attempt to find a store to replace them. I hope not.


I'm also emotionally ready. I've had the words, "just say see ya' later", embedded in my psyche for many years now. Though that's not always a healthy way to live your life, so I have made great efforts to actually allow myself to become close to people and places and also be able to say goodbye without floating off into the smemisphere. (I made that word up)

I've grown.


Since landing in Capital Hill, the centre of happening, so I hear, I've had the pleasure of living on the top floor of a two story, grand old brick apartment building. For me, this is as romantic as inner city living gets. Windows half the size of the walls with hundred year old trees draping the outsides, keeping us burrowed hobbits all cozy inside. Creaky wooden floors, stained the colour of dark, sticky honey. Wide doorways that will fit five people through at once, all bunched up, brushing shoulders.


I hear loud, overly energized children playing out in the streets from the time I wake up until the time I walk out my front door and past their jump rope and hopscotch games, with squeals and giggles echoing down the street behind me. I hear people planning their day from the comfort of my bed, as they walk past in their worn shoes two stories below, off to enjoy their first steaming, strong coffee of the day.


There is a yappy dog across the street also. He sounds like he is the colour of white.


This is what a neighbourhood feels like. A relatively quiet street. Dogs. Families playing on the grass. People plodding by. Talking in the evening, before saying goodbye to the day just past.


I really do wonder where we will find our wee, travelled selves at the end of two months on the road with each other, living out of our car, our backpacks, our generously spacious tent. The open skies and chilly nights. Oh geez, I'll stop before I get to started.


I do know I'll be happy to share it with you. Did I tell you that road tripping across America has been a dream of mine since I was nine years old?


Well it has. And twenty years later it is here. Or I am there, however you find yourself seeing it.

A side note from me; typing while listening to Dire Straits is phenomenal.
Another side note from me; except for the first few photo's taken in the lobby of my adopted home, all the others were taken yesterday on a rainy afternoon, just around the corner from where I am living. Thank you Thomas Street Gardens, and good luck.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmm i get hugry every time i read that thing your trying to hide, and i have a sudden urg to plan a camping trip maybee just down the creek with a few crab pots and a rod

    ReplyDelete