Thursday, July 8, 2010

A short tale of where the sun has taken me today

For those of you who have aunts or uncles, in laws or perhaps parents of step-parents in your lives and only insist on calling them when absolutely necessary, because when you do call them you feel the pang of nothing to talk about predicatively roll on in. Than the inevitable conversation about the weather, this is usually the life of the phone call, exposes itself. Well my friends, today that is going to be me. It just need got to be said.


Also, I will tell you about joy. The joy from the sun, that of which I'm choosing to hold onto now, now that it is after July 5th, and not just because it says so in the weather report. I'm choosing to hold onto the joy because I think there is a jumping castle sized possibility that if I don't hold onto the joy, and of course hope, than I may just pack up earlier than planned and head for the hills. The feeling of living in a plastic container with the lid closed very tightly is becoming a little too much for my soul to bare. Oh, and my sanity.


I've lived in Seattle for just over three years now and this is the first year I have yearned for sun. I arrived on an Amtrak voyage from L.A. and can still remember the feeling of my stomach as it flipped over and over with pure excitement as we made wide turn after wide turn around gentle snowy peaks. It was the end of May and their was only eye-squinting blue sky to be seen and the unmistakable feeling of new territory. Although I recall some raining days here and there, it really didn't matter what the weather was like, I was in a new and exciting country. Sun? Who really cares about sun? I've got better things to do than label the weather, right?


Than, winter arrived and had me falling in love with this place all over again. I had never seen snow. Well, I lie. I've been on snow, via a pair of skies in Melbourne, and I also touched it as a kid along the side of the road, but to live amongst the snow is something else, the falling snow. For a girl from the Australian bush where drought sets in like a face full of wrinkles, it doesn't get more magical. There's a feeling of nesting. Something I have become pretty great at in the last three years. I do love to nest.


Nesting aside, last winter came and went with zero snow, with only the idea and the longing for it to come floating down from above. This snow, I've come to realize, is the ultimate line dividing the otherwise ten months of many shades of gloom that casts upon Seattle's pasty residents. Which brings us to now, the other line that divides the gloom belt; sun. What pure joy it brings me. Just, simply, joy.


It's been two days now of just lovely warm air. The kind of days where you walk around your neighbourhood plodding from street to street. These are the days you stand on round-abouts in the middle of busy streets dancing with your husband, round-abouts that are being over ran with daisy's that sing to you.  


The kind of sunny morning where you visit your favorite little cafe and buy a wonderful homemade piece of quiche. Cloud City Cafe stands for quiche. I think they should be by the lake throughout the year and sell quiche as people walk on by. I love that when I make the stride across to the glass cabinet, there will always be mismatched pieces here and there waiting for any takers. With out a doubt I have never walked in there and not eaten quiche.


I guess for some, today being me and my quiche there has to be an end , it just feels like it is nearing a little too close the second I poke my fork in. Oh well, the hot sun is shining brightly upon my golden crust of egg and cheese, and I'm going to let it rightly do so, so all I can do now is drink my cup of tea and savor each bite hoping that I don't go in any buy another piece.


These daisy's truly do brighten up my day when I get to walk past them on the way home from anywhere. I think I'll go pick some now and listen to them sing all the way home. This, walking in the sun with a belly filled with savoury deliciousness, is my joy today.



No comments:

Post a Comment