Saturday, February 13, 2010

could i please have some lamb with that












Today is raining so much that I have locked myself not only indoos, but into the quuiet, snug space of our office , which is now our bedroom, a story for another time. The day started out a little blar, now that I think about it. I was driving in my dream, some small, beat up old heap of car, when I could hear the engine sound out this deep, low pitched sound. Turned out to be my tonsils, blocking my airway. Not unlike a tomato lying in the sun being dried, having every bit of moisture sucked out of it.
On my way to one of my favourite cooking supply store's, to buy some nice big, particular kind of roasting tray that I really didn't need, which they didn't have, I had the joy of slamming on my breaks for one of hwy 99's infamous residents crossing the road at their leisure, dodging my car and my very loud swear words. Once I get a little bit north of where I live, the real America, it doesn't take long for my eyes to start wobbling and jump back on the road and head back to my trusty kitchen. At times like that I need to step back and get my wobbles together and realise that its just the big wet city getting to me and not my dear love for the world outside.

On my arrival home, I headed straight for the onions, garlic and celery. Tonight on the menu; lamb shanks. I work at a little place, where on Friday nights I get to create delicious pub style meals. Sometimes classic, sometimes not so much. It all depends on what springs to mind on Thursday. Lamb, any style, is always a hit. Growing up, mum would save the leg of lamb for Sunday nights, with the four of us alternating the pleasure of devouring the shank in front of one and other. Mum, from what I remember, always gave up her shank, but that left my brother, dad and I to argue that it was rightfully my turn this time. I guess we should have had it more often. Thankfully, still to this day, my dad is a slaughter man, and use to bring home other treasured parts of the deliciously, grassy lamb.

The next day for school lunches, mum use to make lamb fritters. Now I don't know if you've ever had these made for you, or if they were a humble way to enjoy our lamb left overs, rather than having the same thing the next night, but the flavor of those light, crunchy fritters still linger in my mind. I must say, I haven't had them since i was a kid, so now seems about the right time to whip some up.

I should say now that I'm not a big fan of recipes, I'm just not a baker at heart. The joy of grabbing ingredients and experimenting just comes more natural to me. Though saying that, I will make a conscious effort to write down and explain clearly and simply from now and always when giving recipes on my lovely blog. I mean really, it will only benefit all of us in the long run. I definitely need to learn to be told what to do just a little more, even if it is from a recipe book or my trial and effort.

Fritters are such fun and limitless morsels. The world is your fritter really. I like to keep it simple though, with a few different ingredients and a nice clean flavor. You can make them bite size with a tomato relish or large with a delicious mix of herbs and greens on top. The ones I've made here have got tokens of fresh dill mixed in the greens on top which give it a blast off out of this world. O dill.

Roast Lamb Fritters with fresh Herb Salad

Fritter Batter
3 cups plain flour
1 Tbls baking powder
2 3/4 cups milk
3 eggs

Lamb mix
2 cups chunkier diced lamb
2 tomatoes
half an onion
good handful flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper

Sift your flour and baking powder in big bowl. In a separate bowl, beat your eggs than add your milk. Make a well in your flour than gradually whisk in your milk mix. Throw a towel under your bowl cause right about now it's probably spinning all over the place, along with your mix. Make sure you incorporate all the mix, resulting in a beautiful smooth and thick batter.

Next, dice your lamb, tomatoes and onions. There is really no rule of how much you need to add. It's up to you since its all about what flavors you prefer, and of course what you have left over, since that is the inspiration of this dish. Chop your parsley a bit finer than rough, than toss all your ingredients together. Add your salt and pepper. (Cook up a practice fritter first to see how much salt and pepper you want to use. I like a good amount). Pour your lamb mix into your batter than stir to incorporate. Grab a skillet or whatever pan you have going. I like to spray a bit of oil since there is no need to have the fritters frying deep in oil. Turn you temperature to medium and let your pan of choice heat up good. Using a ladle, pour a nice amount onto the pan. Make sure your fritters have a nice even distribution of ingredients.Flip when bubbling, a couple minutes or so. Around the same time for other side.

When you have how many you want, plate them up then grab a small handful of your herb salad and place on top of your fritter. Drizzle what dressing you like. Here I use a simple balsamic vinaigrette I keep made up in the fridge. Please make your own dressings.

This recipe makes quiet a lot, so be ready to snack on fritters for the next day or so. They are fun to wrap up and take them with you to eat on the road also. Adventure food in style.
Thanks mum.



































1 comment:

  1. ask me about sweet potato pancakes sometime! I love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete